Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Kathy Knox clinic

Here is my lovely little campsite in the shade for the dogs tied out all day.
Beautiful spot with a nice forest to walk the dogs in right behind my rig.
Looking up the driveway towards Vivian's house and gorgeous flower gardens.
Looking through the round pen to wards the field. You can just make out one of the LGDs under a tree in the center of the photo.
Kathy and Lora discussing Bella's round pen session. Nice shade tree in the background for the handlers to watch from. There was a cool morning mist that burned off to mid-70s in the afternoon.
Kathy working a round pen pup.
Discussing Bruce's session.
Dave and Cap in the big field. Cap is littermate to Jayne(and Peter Gonnet's Taff).
Cheryl doing some outrun & fetching with Flint.
Lorri working Quill.
Wyatt enjoys an apple at the end of the day.
Sunday evening after everyone else had left, my dogs got to hang out around the trailer. It was a great clinic with lots of young dogs from 14mos. to almost 3 yrs.old for the most part. I worked Jayne Sat. morning and tried to set her up to show how she blows up and busts through....but she worked really nicely. I worked Owen in the afternoon and stretched him out past his comfort zone. He didn't cover and allowed the sheep to escape to some shade trees(and LGD) but I just waited him out. It took a little while but he figured it out and was able to bring them to me. Sunday I just worked Jayne; in the morning session my timing was off and that may have contributed to her busting in twice. So I got Kathy to work her in the afternoon and she was awesome! Kathy said it wasn't anything that I was doing wrong which is a relief, just that it may be a stage Jayne is going through. I could see that Kathy was holding her off the sheep at a bigger distance when driving than what I allow. Plus she would stop her and settle her for a brief time which seemed to keep Jayne's mind relaxed. As well, Lorri's sheep worked really well; dogs can get a good feel and 'push' on them. I could tell that working in a big space on these kind of sheep will really help Jayne.
While we were at the clinic, Peter Gonnet was winning Reserve CH at the Canadians in Alberta with Jill(on the left) and Western Canadian Nursery CH with Taff(on the right). Congrats to Dennis Gellings and Jan; 2009 Canadian CH

1 comment:

livin life said...

It was so fun hanging with you! Your dogs looked great!!!!! Dinner was fun too. Miss you at the finals.....see you soon at your farm!