Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tues. at McLeods'

Margaret and I worked our dogs today in nice weather after a rainy cold day yesterday. I worked Jayne for a short session and she did very well; no fly throughs. However it was hard to settle the sheep to her; they start off VERY reactive sensing her intensity I guess. Which perhaps is what contributes to her tensing up. So I tried to keep things calm and easy - flanking and short drives. I am starting to add flank whistles to my commands with her as well.
Bruce worked his young Sam pup too. Both of their pups are keen eager and coming along extremely well. What a nice litter that was.
Owen did very well although I had to really get after him to take a come bye flank at the beginning. But then he settled and did fine. He works much too slow & careful for a young dog so I jazzed things up a bit to encourage him to work with a little speed. He is taking his lie downs at the top much much better now and I am using whistles for that as well as walk up.
Tomorrow I am meeting Margaret for Dim Sum! Yay! Then packing up to head to Metchosin to farm/kennel sit for Martha while she heads off to Klamath for the Nationals. It will be great to work the 15 fresh lambs at her place for a week or so. Depending on when Martha gets back, I may head up Island for a visit with my Mom on the way home.

No comments: