Sunday, September 20, 2009

Metchosin Day 2

Old photo from spring '05 of Blair working the flock of ewes & lambs in Metchosin. Showing a cool head and patience otherwise those ewes would charge him.
Fall '04 one of my many weekends traveling to Metchosin to learn how to work Blair. Juan de Fuca Strait and Olympic Peninsule in the background looking SE.
View of Martha's house from the road.
Old Cajun, Blair and Wyatt getting a run below the house. Juan de Fuca Strait in the background. Always in view when working on the farm. I will have more up to date pix at some point. Be interesting to compare.
This is a typical group of lambs just like the ones I am working this year. Old photo from several years ago. Buchanon's Parry Bay flock has developed into a breed of their own and are the best sheep to work dogs on. Each season here brings a different group to help develop a well rounded sheepdog.

I uploaded a few old pix because:
I took a bunch on pix today but, alas, may not be able to upload them until I get home. I forgot to pack the cable needed to connect camera to laptop. I will search Martha's office just in case she has a compatible one... However while searching through my laptop case I did find a DVD player that I forgot I had - guessing it has been hidden in a flap for several years. So I installed it and watched the end of 'The Wrestler' which I viewed part of, on the ferry ride over here. ;~}
Otherwise it was another day in paradise which it truly is with the lovely extended summer weather we're having.
We are all settling into a nice routine; the MarCar dogs are happy with someone different catering to them - adjusting like troupers and coming up for love and pats. Ryan of course remembers me from my many visits & when I lived here during the Telus strike in '05 but Rick was only 7-8 weeks old when I did another short stint here when Martha was in the hospital. Sylvie doesn't know me from Adam but would like to be my friend. Rick and Sylvie had a good play today while Ryan rolled in the grass with 'his' special toy. Who says old dogs don't play! I used the gator to give them a good long run down to and around Telfer field as well as a good stretch in the 'exercise' field. Same for my crew this morning.
Then I took Owen and Blair down with the gator to work. I park in one field and work them in the two fields next door. The dogs learn to do an 'away' outrun to go through the connecting open gate. Then I do some flanking and driving from one field away. I let Owen bring the sheep into the closer field and then had a tough time convincing the lambs to go back through the shade at the gate. It was very good work for him and a huge mental challenge I am sure. Then I forgot to take my whistle so had to remind Blair what voice commands are! LOL
Everyone then got to sleep in their kennels while I went to the Farmer's market. What a treat to pick up fresh local farm produce!
Ran all the dogs again when I got back before putting them up for dinner. Then Dusty got to work late afternoon and bring in the lambs to the barn for their grain. Grilled some absolutely delicious lamb chops from Martha's freezer tonite with fresh rosemary as well as nice new potatoes from the market. Martha's greenhouse is full of tomatoes & veggies too. Man I miss fresh rosemary! I haven't planted any herbs in my 'new' place as I am wanting to sell it, but I think I must do so regardless. I miss the sage, rosemary, tarragon, chives, oregano, thyme etc. of my old Burnaby home.

No comments: