Saturday, September 19, 2009

Metchosin Day 1

Got a noon ferry yesterday so got here about 2:30pm. Caught up on all the news with Martha and got a run down on the kennel and farm routine. Not much changed since last time I was here so that was short. :-) Donna came by and we went out for dinner at My Chosin. Jayne refused her dinner being served in a crate on the porch so I'll try something else tomo. nite. Martha has a wire crate in the living room which would suit her perfectly if I decide to cater to her 'special princess' needs. I am discovering that she doesn't adapt to change and new things as well as my other dogs.
Today Martha was up and gone by 6:30a to make the 10:30a CoHo ferry en route to Nationals. I ran her little crew of three and then mine. I have my favorite Border Collie in the world to look after; her good old retired red dog, Ryan. His almost 2 yr.old son Rick and yearling Sylvie who would be a neice of Dusty. We had rain overnite but the morning was mild and mixed sun and cloud the rest of the day with some usual Metchosin wind picking up in the afternoon. I worked Jayne and Owen this morning. There are 15 new lambs that have been here about three weeks so they are very fresh but nice to work. Jayne was a bit unsettled with the new place/new lambs but did some nice moves and wasn't too bad. I worked Owen very briefly as Jayne bust off the tie out chain to the Gator and came to join us. lol Then I spent a lazy afternoon settling in. Martha has the book 'World of Sheepdogs' and a supply of International Sheepdog News that will keep me occupied in the next week or so.
Blair was the chosen one to do chores and bring the lambs in tonite. He had been very bad barking and ky-yiying in the kennel when I took Jayne and Owen out...so I knew he was desperate to work. Later this week I'll get him out on the big Banzer field down the road. That should take the edge off his keeness a little bit.
Jayne got the wire crate inside tonite and ate her dinner....what a prima donna! Wyatt and Dusty are lying on the floor at my feet at I type. Owen and Blair are inside but in the back porch. Different routine for them but they are settling in like the good dogs they are.
I'll get some pictures of the farm posted tomorrow or the next day. The Metchosin Farmer's Market is still running til Oct. so I may go by tomorrow afternoon to pick up some fresh produce and to see what crafts are there. This little pastoral corner of paradise has to be seen to be believed. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How Idyllic!

I tended Julie Matthews' farm at Lopez frequently, and grew to love island life.
So I'm a little jealous.

Have a good time at Total immersion sheep-dogging!


Susan Lindstedt