Pam hauled her sheep to the nice big field for us this morning. Nancy, Pat and I were the only others there. I sent Blair on a big outrun and had to do a redirect as he was thinking of crossing over on the away side.....his old nemesis. But good to get that out of the way before Dirk's trial next weekend I hope. The rest of his work was real nice; I kept my mouth shut and let him handle it all at the top, resulting in nice lifts. I would have like a bit slower pace on the fetch but the sheep were booking it regardless so I didn't natter at him. I feel like we are really communicating on the same wave length these days. He truly is my Wonderdog.
Dusty also did some excellent work for him; sent him almost as far as Blair with no problem. Let him lift on his own too and he did well, his pace is much better than Blair's but he was big time sticky taking a come by flank to correct the line. He felt the draw was on the away side and just didn't want to let go of it. Once the sheep got to me, I made him do some big off balance flanks and was able to show him that he wouldn't lose the sheep. If I could only count on him to work like this at trials......sigh.....
Young Owen did well too. I stretched him was out beyond what we have been working. First outrun I sent him away which was the easy side on this field and his nice side. He did pretty good. Next outrun I sent him on his 'bad' side and he was going to cross over so I stopped him. Called him back a bit then gave him the come by flank again....he kicked out there. Next time he did a beautiful come by....wide and deep, checking in on the sheep thoughtfully. His driving was nice too although we didn't do a lot. I just wish we could work in this field every week, it is just what the dogs need.
I didn't work Jayne.....still worried and unsure of how to fix her gripping/blowing up problem. :-(
Waiting to hear news from Metchosin on how my friends and my dogs' relatives all did....
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh that sounds so fun! I am sorry I missed the Mcleod's place when I was there! Donna
Post a Comment