Owen with the McLeod flock.
Here is an old picture of Blair and daughter Teak when she was about 10mos. old. Teak is the reason I got Owen.
Here is a picture of Teak this May at the Paxton Valley trial, taken by Kristi Oikawa. Latest news is that Ruedi and Teak placed again at MacDonalds' trial and now has enough points to go to Klamath! Yay Ruedi, what an awesome handler and great partnership they have. Blair's littermate, Ceri also earned more points with a 3rd. so has plenty for Klamath too.Wow what a summer we're having! It rained a week ago and temps were around 14c It was even cool early this week at around 18c. But now back to unusually high temperatures for us - 34c in the shade on my deck again today!
I worked Blair and Owen at McLeods' yesterday and had to take it pretty easy on the sheep as they are having a hard time adjusting to the hot-cold weather too. Both dogs worked great. The sheep were hiding in the bottom corner of the field under the trees when I took Owen out. He never saw them til he was almost upon them and they moved....so he basically got to do his first blind outrun! LOL And plucky little pup that he is, he trusted me and his memories of the field that if I was sending him, surely there must be sheep somewhere. He crossed and back but can't fault him for that. Then when we were done, he some more work holding the sheep along the fenceline so Rose could spray them with water from the hose to help cool them off a little. I give the boy some credit as he was hot & tired & not understanding the job which was so unlike the usual training session of gathering, flanking and driving. He did a good job. I marvel every time I work him at how easy he is, how biddable!
On the other hand I am at my wit's end with Jayne. She is busting in & gripping every time I work her which I fear is becoming a habit to avoid pressure. Which means I am probably putting too much pressure on her. On Tues. she flew in and singled out poor old Kelly-Lee; she went right and he went hard left, snapping his leg in the process! Luckily our vet tech friend, Susan came and said it was worth trying to splint. Difficult as the break was between hock and stifle but she got him wrapped up pretty good. Report since that he is resting in the barn, getting up & down on his own.....so fingers crossed that he will recover. He is probably the most special wether on the farm(hence has a name) because he was one of the first lambs to arrive on the farm many years ago.

No comments:
Post a Comment