Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hotter than Stink

Whew! Another scorcher in the Lower Mainland! I walked out of the house first thing this morning straight into my 'swimming pool'. Cooled off while the dogs kept wondering what was going on in 'their' yard. They aren't playing near as long as usual in this hot weather but hitting the shade to hang out a lot sooner than normal. They just can't figure out why 'Mom' sits in their huge new water bucket.
Went to McLeods' early(10am) to beat the heat. Got there just in time to help(a little) Bruce & Rose unload a truck full of sweet 2nd.cut hay into their barn. Then when they drove off for another load, Margaret and I visited and worked our dogs. I quit with Jayne after about 2 mins. as the sheep were just bolting every time she looked at them. She is holding way too much tension and I think they feel it. I have no idea how to solve this. I think I know what she needs but I just don't have the place/sheep/facility that would work.
Then Bruce & Rose got back with the 2nd load so Marg and I helped unload again....bringing back many memories of hauling hay for my horses back in the days in Burnaby. Then I worked young Owen and he is such a treat. Easy boy & so eager to partner up. It will be interesting to see how he develops and responds when faced with big(ger) tougher challenges.
Will spend tomo. packing up and getting ready to head off to Dirk's trial on Thurs. So sweet to have a trial just over an hour away! 10 mins. to the border, then grocery stop at Safeway in Lynden, & short haul on the back roads to Deming, WA. Dirk has reported that they took the hay off the fields a week or so ago, so it should be heaven for a trial. Gorgeous site and amazing size of fields! The trial runs P/N & Open on Fri.& Sat. with a Double Lift on Sunday.
I run Blair 6th on Friday so won't be expecting much. However I get to scribe for judge, Bill Berhow the rest of the day so hopefully will learn lots! And looking forward to spending the weekend with good friends. Marronis are coming, Ruedi, Celeste&Brian from the Island, as well as all my WA friends. It will be a great time. Weather forecast for more hot sunny days all week. May be looking to the river to cool off at some point.

3 comments:

BCxFour said...

Dangit - I am not going to On The River trial to watch this time & I wont be able to meet you.

That trial has such a beautiful setting. My parents live in Everson and right next door to their house is a training facility that has sheep. The woman who owns it will allow started dogs to work her sheep for $10-$15.00. Cheap! They are fresh, undogged sheep. If you are looking for a decent field (somewhat smallish) to work some fresh sheep on your way to the trial - you may be passing near on your way to Deming. It is right off the Hannegan/Hemmi roads just south of Lynden (the Hannegan is one mile east of Meridian - the road heading south that the Lynden border crossing is on). The facility is called Hiline Training. http://www.hot4dogs.com/

I wrote about it on my post called "New Sheep" if you want to check them out. There is a link there too.

http://bcxfour.blogspot.com/2009/07/new-sheep.html

Good luck at Dirks trial! Enjoy the mowed field!

Oh and while you are at the trial you have got to head up the road a few miles to Acme. There is the BEST grill up there called the Blue Mountain Grill that serves incredible food! Awesome place to chill out & cool down. They have shaded parking for the dogs too. The link to the grill is on this post

http://bcxfour.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-parents-sdt-and-mothers-day.html

An English Shepherd said...

The boss is very jealous its not so hot over here at the moment

Wizz :-)

WalkOn Border Collies said...

Thanks for the tips. I may just have to check out that restaurant in Acme. I told Martha to tell Bill & Leslie about it too. I know Kathi Seaman from way back but didn't know she had sheep or where she lived. It will probably be too hot tomo. to stop, but close enough to check out another time. You must tell me next time you are going there.... I take E.Smith Rd. to get to Deming which is very close.