Saturday, July 11, 2009

ASCA Trial at Downriver

My friend Margaret and I went out to watch the BC Aussie Club's ASCA Trial today. Hot weather but a nice breeze to keep things mild. I ended up volunteering to time for the last Sheep runs under judge Dana McKenzie which was a real treat. Tin Ballard was stock handling all day and we got to chitchat the three of us at the end of the trial under the shade of the judge's tent. What a treat to reconnect and visit with Dana, who judged my very first (disasterous) run with Wyatt about 6 or 7 yrs. ago. Dana from Tx is a long time, ultra well-respected Aussie( & BC )handler, trainer, clinician, and awesome judge of all breed trials, combined with a good understanding and admiration for Border Collie trials. It was a super nice day to reconnect and visit with the local all breed folks who are doing some great stuff with their dogs with the support and encouragement from Lynn Leach at Downriver Farms(where I got my start).
It might be interesting that 7 yrs. ago when I started all this with ACD, Wyatt....I realized that the trials I liked best were the ASCA & AHBA trials. Took a bit to recognize the difference was that those were the ones with the BC entries. So of course was an additional 'chuff' way back then was for Wyatt to beat Pam May's BC, Talley of the same age. Today Jacqui's Spry finally took the HIT award away from Talley in a great Advanced run!
Also totally cool; Lynn Leach's (YVR) Chaser won HIT on Started Sheep?(or ducks?), same dog that Lee Lumb placed 13th with in Nursery at the Sturgis Finals last year. Wow nice accomplishment for an 'airport bird dog'. Chaser belongs to our YVR International Airport as a bird dog to keep the geese etc away from causing airplane crashes.

No comments: