Thursday, March 4, 2010

March is starting sweet

Worked Blair twice this week at McLeods'; he is taking my new softer & quieter whistles with as much accuracy as the old blasting ones. How 'duh' have I been. Thank you Patrick for being the one that finally 'got thru to me' from Blair and all the Dorman dogs..... We shall see how it flows onto the trial field at Heppner in a week. It has been so sweet to be working Blair more the last few weeks as he got short shift all this past year with me trying to train up the youngsters. What a PITA for my dogs to be 'city slickers' and not have sheep of their own to get every day work and real chore work. I sure miss Jamie living here as she offered big spaces for many of us local hobby trialers to get our dogs out on. But still so appreciative of Rose & Bruce McLeod's farm/working experience, otherwise we would have nothing in the Fraser Valley. I have high hopes for Blair this year if only I can step up as a handler to match his expertise as a very fine sheep dog. Same for my two youngsters, Owen & Jayne.

2 comments:

fairywhisper said...

Since Patrick gave out similar homework to many of my co-dogworkers I have been following the progress being made. Thanks for the update. I too have been focusing on quieter and softer whistles and distance off the sheep. In training excellent, in trail we need some more practice to make it habit . Adrenaline does weird things to both do and handler. However I have made great strides in the less talk more whistle category. Looking forward to more trials, see you on the trail.
Erin

gvmama said...

It's hard without your own sheep. I trailer out all winter 5-6 mos. on my days off from work. Too many rattlers for the 6 mos. in the summer. Summertime I drive long distances to small ranches. Sigh.