
WARNING! These images are not for squeamish or faint of heart. Awhile back I was visiting some friends who had 4 hogs raised by their dad, butchered by a mobile unit. I have never seen anything like this and was very impressed with how quick, efficient, and professional these two fellows were. The hogs were treated with respect but dispatched without emotion. I think it is important that we 'city' people are occasionally exposed to real farm life and see where those chops & hams & bacon in Safeway really come from.

The hogs were shot in the stock trailer then brought out to the butcher truck to be cut and quickly bled out. I was very surprised at how little blood there was.

They were quickly skinned. Amazing SHARP knives these guys had.

Then cut in half and hung in the truck.


Two smaller ones from another farm already in the truck ready to go the the plant for cutting/wrapping. How nice to be able to buy a side knowing where it comes from, what it has been fed, how it is raised. My friend's Dad got his four in last Sept. and raised them at his farm over the winter. They sometimes got day old donuts that he got cheap from a bakery! lol
3 comments:
Great stuff! Thanks for posting that. If you have photos of the actual kill, I'd love to see them. I'd also like to know what process they used. Looks like slit throats perhaps? I have "Bacon" and he has a "date" with the butcher in May. Interesting that they skinned them prior to hanging them. Looks like they skin a lot easier than sheep?
I LOVE THIS POST !!!!
Hi Jodi,
This was the actual kill. They shot/killed them in the stock trailer with a rifle. Then hauled them out & stuck them with a knife in the jugular to bleed them out. I think the second pic shows that. Amazing how little blood comes out. They skinned the lower half/belly parts, then hung them. As they were hung, they peeled off the back part of the hide. Then they gutted the inards. Then used a chain saw to split them in halves. I've never seen a sheep butchered or any other animal so can't comment on comparison. But these professional guys do sheep as well. Cattle too I would guess. These hogs were 7 mos. old and the slaughter guys commented on how big they were. I am envious of the folks that will be getting the cut/wrapped meat from these fine animals.
Post a Comment