Arriving at Marroni's on Thursday afternoon after an easy trip down. Looking up the farm from the front gate with LGD, Art coming to greet me. Lovely soak in the new hot tub and then Jeff grilled some yummy NY steaks with Dee's asparagus & mushrooms to go with.
Following the beautiful Columbia River east from Portland on Friday.
Picture in my mirror of Jeff's rig following behind me. We convoyed down with walkie talkies to keep in touch and chat. Grey day but very little rain.
The hills were green - only at this time of year before they burn off. It is one of the prettiest drives in the area. And NO mountain pass to climb.
The area is called 'The Gorge' and is mecca to wind surfers all summer. As the multitude of wind mills attest to. You can just see the train across the river and the highway on the WA side. It is also another pretty route to reach points east.
Norm & Vicki Close's cool new black rig pulled into the handlers' camping area just before Jeff. I parked across the road and gave my dogs a good run before heading into town.
Sunday morning main street Heppner. Those hills were covered in white SNOW the day I arrived! As were many cars in town. This shot is taken just in front of where I stayed. Everything closes up early & opens late in this little burg. Nice restaurant/bakery right beside this was where I had a great burger Fri. nite. Went back there on Sat. but they were all closed up by 6:40pm despite hours which state open til 7p. :-( Luckily I found a pizza place still open. Only downside of the weekend; huge lack of restaurants in Heppner(as well as accommodation).
This little site is the only motel in town. Right across the street from my RV park. Long haired, pony tailed proprietor is the Rev. in town too. But the streets are adorned in shamrocks & signs of the 'green' everywhere.
Here is my truck parked beside my rental 5th wheel. Great set up with wifi, electricity, heater, slide-out with sofa and arm chair. I took my laptop and a couple DVD movies to watch after dark each night. Dogs all spent the evening inside with me, then 3 slept in the topper. It was pretty cold.
At the trial field Sat. Brian Riccard chatting with course director, Frances Chai. Karen Mahoney and crew did an awesome job of organizing this trial. It rolled along smoothly with no hitches.
Helsley's and Close's are bundled up & well accustomed to the bitter cold wind we had all day Sat. I was lucky and got to spend quite a bit of time out of the wind scribing for Bill in his truck both days.
EB's Rye watching and waiting his turn.
Rye heads out on his outrun. Not a huge course but boy oh boy are the sheep ever challenging! Rye did well; top 5? I think.
Rye turning the post and lining them out for the drive.
Dorman dogs getting a run mid day in the hay field across the road from the trial field. Great place to run dogs; lots of room to hike way back up the hills.
My dogs again.
Handlers spent most of the day watching from their trucks on a nice viewpoint in the corner.
Karen M.'s dog also has a nice viewpoint. lol
Plus ready to drive KM home afterward. lol
Monday morning on the river in Boardman. The river was like glass with perfect reflections. I stayed in a motel there about 30 mins. from Heppner on Sunday night after the trial. I scribed til the end, then ran my dogs and made it to Boardman before dark with the time change. Next year I think I would stay there.
Dusty, Wyatt and Owen all went swimming. I had wet dog smell with Wyatt & Dusty in the cab all the way home to Olympia. But great place to stay. Nice quiet empty park along the river to run dogs. And restaurants that stay open longer than 7p.! And deliver to the motel!
Heading back along the Columbia. This is the dam coming into The Dalles. Not sure what snow capped mountain that is....Mt.Hood?
Safe back to Marroni's Mon. afternoon. I parked way off in a corner of the field so Art wouldn't be so tempted to come investigate my crew. It was a gorgeous warm day all the way back. More hot tub and a movie Mon. nite.Then I had a nice easy trip home on Tues. Arrived home to big rain & wind storm but weather turned and has been gorgeous since.
It was a super great weekend & trial. One I will try to make again. I did not meet my goal of top 50 as Blair had RT's both days but not his fault. Just my bad timing and lack of experience reading these kind of range sheep. On Sat. a single split off right after his lift and bolted back to the set out trailers. I hesitated instead of flanking him immediately which cost our run. A little better on Sunday; another beauty of an outrun and lift, sweet pace and straight down through the fetch panels. Then another single separated and I failed to handle it well. So left the post again. But I was very pleased with Blair; he listened well and took every command, holding up his part of the team. However a good learning experience and hopefully won't make the same mistakes next year. Scott overheard my story about 'his name & mine in the same sentence'. So he made a point of coming up to me on Sunday to say that it wasn't the only time....as we both got RTs on Sat! Classy guy. He won with Don on Sat. and both dogs were high up there on Sun. I missed Karen Child's 96 run with Rock on Sunday but it must have been something to see. I did get to watch a lot of awesome dogs and good runs. Plus some incredible work by dogs to fix things going bad.
It was another gorgeous warm sunny spring day at McLeods' today(and more to come all weekend). I worked Jayne & Owen as they spent all weekend cooped up. Caught up with all the news with Rose & Margaret. I am planning to head to Arlington tomo. to work dogs at Joe Hayne's then back home on Sunday to help out at a demo. at Thunderbird Show Park for the LMQHA's annual Bazaar.

2 comments:
Great pictures! Looks like it was a fun trip! I swung by there last year on my way home from WA, and I remember the weather was very similar.
Yes, its Mt Hood :)
Post a Comment