Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Kit works sheep

The holiday Monday was gorgeous so Lynda & I took advantage and played with our dogs all day. She showed me how she does some 'packed pen' work in the alleyway leading to the back field. I tried it with Owen and he was a star; snuck around the fenceline like a pro. I was apprehensive but tried Jayne and she did very well also. Not a natural or easy going about it as Owen, but got the job done without panic or grip etc. Lynda & I also did some work together holding sheep off the gate. Very good stuff for building confidence by walking up on heads. Then we each did the same working a single & holding it off the gate.
Here is Kit doing a little gather.
This picture was taken just before the one above.
Kit flanking to hold sheep to me.
Kit has a good lie down and calls off her sheep easily. She has not had much time put into her but seems like she will train up with no issues. She is not grippy and doesn't lose her head or slice through.
Driving is foreign but she was willing to walk up and take a few steps past me. She has the equivalent of a few weeks of puppy training I think. I actually expected her to have more practical skills from working on a cattle ranch but I guess they really didn't put very much time into her. However she will come on just fine.
I worked her again yesterday and saw much the same. Today is a day off and we are back to spring showers. Sure glad I got my lawn mowed again yesterday morning.

1 comment: