What a fun weekend! I was blown away when I walked into the arena around lunchtime Sat. It seemed like bedlam, a cacophony of barking dogs and screaming people! It was hilarious. Amazing how so few dogs could make so much noise and also how some of them were just standing quietly and calmly waiting their turn. Big dogs little dogs sleek dogs furry dogs of every shape and color but all obviously LOVING what they were doing! Two races in two side by side rings going at the same time for a total of over 80 runs of 4-5 heats each. Both days were super well organized and ran so smoothly by my friends in 'The Kings' club. I also ran into some out of town herding friends as teams came from as far away as Portland,Ore. & Spokane,WA. as well as Vancouver Island.
I got seated at my 'work' station entering scores/times on a laptop - very cool program. But paying attention to the judge meant I didn't get to watch very many runs. However by the end of the day I had a better handle on the job so was able to take in more. I saw one absolutely amazing race between two teams from the same club - div.1 which were the fastest. They both were so consistant over the 5 heats with time differences only in hundredths of a second. And talk about FAST! Wow!
I think my cattledog, Wyatt would have loved this sport but as he is turning 8 this year I think it a little too late for him. Blair would hate the noise I think and he will be 8 as well. Jayne doesn't exhibit any ball drive and I know she would be loud when excited which would drive me crazy. However Dusty loves chasing balls although he never gets the ball before Wyatt. But....young Mr.Owen has shown a real aptitude for beating all the other dogs to the ball. I rarely play 'ball' with them as I am fearful of ACL injury but...Fly Ball would be different and I keep telling my pals that I am going to show up one Friday at their practice. Only thing stopping me is that they start at 9:00am in Cloverdale which would mean getting up and about much earlier that I am used to! LOL
Today is beautiful sunny and warm, maybe 20c mid-day. Shorts and tshirt finally! It inspired me to give all four dogs a good brushing, feet trim and toe clip. Well actually Dusty was looking very unkept with tufts of hair hanging off his hips and rear legs. I don't know why Border Collies can't have nice short hair on their feet like Cattledogs! Wyatt never needs trimming - never gets the 'Grinch' look as I call it...when the long hair of their toes starts turning up in pointy tufts like the TV cartoon show's Grinch shoes.
Monday, April 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I watch flyball and its very exciting. This is a link, if it works, to a recent indoor tournament which my Auntie Breeze took part in, very noisy ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2a_nF3hZk
You might have to cut and paste the link :-(
Post a Comment