Saturday, April 4, 2009

musing

No pix...nothing much to updt. My houseguests are gone so the week is passing slower. Worked my dogs yesterday at McLeods' as usual...no rain but rather grey cool day. Today was much nicer, way more usual spring-like. Poked in at the Cloverdale show barn to help a bit finishing up with set up for the Fly Ball tourney this weekend. Then went out for Dim Sum with a friend - yahoo! That was nice. Supposed to be good weather the next few days...and I'm committed to spending the afternoons at this Fly Ball thingy. Should be fun to hang out with friends and see something different that BCs excel at...no insult to the other breeds involved.
Got some feedback on Owen.....:-(.....not so good....he is not as 'keen' as one would hope at his age and he is a bit 'stubborn'. I am sure Lee will sort him out over the next 10 weeks but...last thing I need is another 'great farm dog' candidate. I can afford to carry Dusty but not another. :-( However I love him dearly so would be tough to part with....like not. Arrgghhh....it really sucks not to have your own farm/stock etc... What the h%$k am I doing, messing with these good working dogs?? Without having the real work for them? Or the experience or talent to bring them up to their ability/potential.
Awk...oh well....I'm going to experience a bunch of flyball dogs this weekend so can re-evaluate my situation afterward...perhaps it may change...or chill....

2 comments:

Dancing shepherdess said...

I hear you. It's odd. I just found a decent property, that years ago I thought would be perfect, but now, not sure. I also wonder if working these dogs without my own stock, do we really see what they can give us, or are we giving them the short shrift? I don't know. But, my feeling at this point, is that it is enjoyable for everyone, and there are very few TOP handlers who can only afford to keep TOP dogs, and the rest of us are also-rans. That's fine for me, at this point. I think if I ever strove for TOP status, it would remove a lot of the fun, and acceptance (of failure) which would render me well, useless.
So, keep doing what you enjoy, take breaks as you need them, and remember, it's the journey, not the destination.

livin life said...

I agree with Sheepkelpie! I have watched you at trials since the very first one I attended. I've enjoyed your company, love watching you run you dogs...and have seen what you have given back into the world that you live. At the end of the day, that might be the definition of "success". I also know that what we "don't have" can tourture us. I have sheep...and my dogs don't see them everyday. And I think...oh if I just had more acreage! So I am working on enjoying the journey as well! Take care of you.....