Friday, April 10, 2009

This week of working my dogs

No pix again. Worked them on Tues. and didn't want to get hate mail from Louanne and the other rabbletrash from the other side of the Rockies about our weather. LOL It was beautiful...shorts and Tshirt weather....work dogs then doze off while sitting in a lawn chair watching and visiting with the XXX+hospitality of Rose & Bruce. It is tough...feeling guilty keeping them away from chores etc....but was just too sweet...in the warm sunshine.
Anyway.....Jayne worked pretty good but we had to drill on the tight-come-by-along-fenceline. But after 4 times...she started getting the idea and listened to my 'Steady' command.
Today was a repeat except the weather was back to coolish and clouds.... But same drill was used again albeit in a different spot in the field. And she did some really really nice steady work on the lifts...fetches....close at hand which I dream will transfer to bigger distances next weekend in Nursery at Lee's trial.....hahaha. But all in all, I can finally say that we have made progress in the last year and we are building a tight close bond.
I worked Dusty last Tues. and as usualy he was Mr. Perfect on these familiar sheep. Then today was Blair's turn, so I got the whole 'group' from out of the back....and worked on shedding. I don't know if it was helpful for him, but I think it helped me....so probably a good thing no matter. LOL He did great; coming through about 20 sheep with very little 'hole' made and turning on the right ones....working them for a while.... Good stuff but still so 'artificial'. My dogs are so handicapped by not having real work.
Anyhow, the good news is that we hope to get out this weekend on 'Pam's big field' which will be a great work-up to the trial next weekend. I'll try to get some pix but it is supposed to rain all weekend...so....maybe.

3 comments:

Dancing shepherdess said...

You should make your own work when you work your dogs. Do odd things that they never do- take the sheep out of the pasture, back them through small areas, have your dog shed some off, and take those to another pasture, and then work the others, and shed more to another area. It's all really good just plain work- who's the dog to believe it isn't real work!

Andrea said...

Love to read about your dogs' work...Sophie would be so envious if she could read. :)

Unknown said...

Give Blair a pet for me!! I love reading yor blog.