Friday, March 6, 2009

Still sunny

Another lovely day in paradise! It was supposed to rain all week but has been sunny instead, although quite cold when the sun goes behind a cloud. However it is supposed to snow again on Sat. - what's with that!?! I am hoping to run Blair in Dirk's trial in Sedro Wooley tomorrow but am going to wait to see what the roads are like when I get up. I am a typical 'wetcoaster' so now that I don't have to commute to work, I don't have to drive in any snow if I don't want to.
So we had another good training session yesterday. I worked Jayne and Dusty. Dusty was awesome as usual...in his familiar place on sheep he knows. I did some of Jack's suggestions; busting the sheep up and encouraging him to hustle to cover. I did see a change of pace with him but I'm not sure I am getting the best results. Each time, Dusty widened out as well as put on a little speed, so he still wasn't really covering better. But I will keep at it & see if there is some improvement over time.
Jayne worked well too for the most part. The mistakes were all my fault as usual. We had a big group of sheep to work so I tried some shedding with her. OMG, that was not the best idea I've had in awhile! Lee would kill me if she saw what I did I am sure. I don't know what I was doing wrong except the results were very bad! LOL Jayne came in like a bolt of lightning, but there was no way she was taking a lie down or holding the shed off group! She flanked off after them and split one with a lot of yippeeyahoo enthusiasm to say the least. Actually it was panic that they were getting away. So we had to go back to some calming and 'steady-ing' work in a corner before ending the session. Margaret & Rose were killing themselves laughing at me! Rose suggested that we make a 'How not to Shed' video to go along with Alasdair's. Good thing Jayne isn't going to have to actually shed in a trial for some time!
Rose's Jana's four pups are 3 weeks old now and getting to that oh-so cute stage. They were all cuddled up asleep in their crate when I looked in on them. We got word that Lee's Chica had TEN pups this week; 6 girls and 4 boys sired by her Jeb who is J.Zoerb's Mik X Sommer's Gyp. Should be some real nice pups there.

1 comment:

Darci said...

LOL! When ya get ready to put together that "How NOT to" vid give me a shout. I have plenty of material I could contribute!