On my way to the big field I spy these guys grazing in someone's horse paddock.
So I hopped out of my truck and snuck around the back to get out my camera and snap off these shots. Deer and coyotes thrive in the middle of hobby-farm-suburbia-Fraser Valley.
Got to the field early so let my pack have a good run. Dusty and Owen figured out how to squeeze through the gate. Moss offspring; Blair and 1/2 sister Jayne were perplexed. hmmmmm?
After I opened the gate, the whole crew goes for a big run.
Then Pam arrives to unload the sheep. I must sometime get a picture of them in the trailer going down the road. It is too funny, they all look around like a bunch of tourists on a Sunday drive.
Pam's Tally gathers them to go into sorting area
Pam and Tally divide them into groups in the holding pens. They have stopped and are looking at Blair & Jana who are intently observing the process.
Rose's Jana is working 'Biscotti' & friends.
Lou & Blair watch and wait their turn.
Pam's dogs watching Kristi & Lou.
Biscotti thinks she can lead her friends through about 10 Border Collies and get to the gate. You can tell that the 'May' dogs and the 'May' sheep have a special relationship.
Rose, Susan, Kristi & Pam enjoying the sunshine while Lynda is working one of her dogs. Hopefully Rose got some good shots too with her zoom lens.It couldn't have been a nicer day. Nor could one want to spend a better afternoon; working dogs with good friends. I worked Blair and Jayne. I sent Blair on a couple big outruns and pretty much kept my mouth shut. He did awesome; went deep, hit balance, lifted nicely and fetched a wee tad fast but the sheep were prone to take off so I let him feel his own pace. His second run was the other way so he stopped 'short' but he was probably correct and feeling the pressure to the gate. What a good boy. Hoping this will help gear him up for Heppner.
Jayne did some really really nice work. I was extremely pleased with her. We worked a bit but couldn't do any sort of gather as the sheep were booking it to me before she was even half way down on her outrun. So Lynda came out with young Lark and held the sheep for me. Jayne did very well going a good P/N distance and picking up without problems. She paced herself very well also so I kept quiet and let her feel the sheep. Such a relief to see that she can make the transition to a bigger distance without falling apart. But we still need to get more consistent work in this kind of space. Lynda's young Lark is really make nice progress too; natural deep outrun and easy to stop and pace. She is going to be a very nice trial dog for Lynda.

1 comment:
AGREED. Nothing like a pretty day and working dogs with good friends.
Post a Comment