No pix just look at Boxing Day for more of the same. Wee bit of sun, mostly cloudy and brrrr cold wind adding to +4c temps. Hot coffee & snacks from Rose kept us going as usual. We had lots of laughs and now& again ventured out to work dogs. Pathetic city slicker 'shepherd' that I am; wondered at how light the group was for Owen, and how some of the pretty colored ones seemed smaller than usual, and how he could actually get in a 'lift' before they headed up the field. Then a couple dog/sessions later, overheard Rose mention to someone that we were helping dog break the dozen lambs sold to my friend on the Island, Julie Carter. Duh...I did not notice that this was not our usual working flock of sheep. (now I can hear Kathy Knox saying 'watch your sheep not your dog') It is so embarrassing I should not be admitting it! Worse...we worked these lambs last week too.
However, both Owen and Jayne worked pretty well. Although Owen is being very stubborn about inside flanks at times and I have to confess that I lose my patience with him. But he shows no sign of quit so perhaps I am not being too tough on him. I also did some corner work with him and at one point he had to shove his way with a couple air snaps to push them off the fence; very good confidence work for him. Plus I hope, teaching him to trust that I am not asking him to do something he can't.
I was very pleased with Jayne's initial walk up into the corner at the gate; she kept her cool and took it one step at a time with no sign of needing to bust in. I think her eye was holding them in the corner a bit so I halted her & went in to help move them down the fenceline a few feet, then asked her to continue walking up and driving them down to the bottom of the field. With them being willing to stand & hold, I was able to get in several nice little outruns for Jayne with actual 'lifts' happening! Yay! Good work. Sorry that these lambs are leaving on Sunday.
While having coffee we discussed meat loaf recipes which inspired me what to cook for dinner tonite.(thanks Rose) I used 1/3 ground pork to 2/3 beef, added one egg, half a sweet onion, few gloves of garlic, spices, diced up mushrooms and a can of mushroom soup.
I've never used the soup before but it turned out pretty good. I often add blue cheese instead but didn't have any. It was quite yummy along with a potato and some broccoli.
I'll be heading down to Whidbey Island this weekend to work my dogs at Susan Crocker's farm and....gasp.....judge her trial on Sunday. Needless to say this shows at how desperate they are for volunteers to judge over the winter series of trials. lol But...Sue MacDonald said that if you could run Open, you could judge. So I knew this one would be one of the harder ones to find someone and Susan is such a good friend. I have no aspirations to become a judge in the future, just wanting to support her willingness to host these trials. My biggest fear/goal is to make sure that I am consistent for everyone and that I don't miss some blatant mistake.
So more news to come next week! Maybe some pix if the weather isn't too shitty.
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good luck judging...you will be GREAT!!!!! If I did not have a gaggle of puppies, I would come run for you.....but duty calls.....see you soon!
Lora
Post a Comment