I've been working Owen & Jayne every Tues. & Thurs. as usual at McLeods'. Jayne is still doing well and not busting through except the odd time which is my fault. Owen has some good days and some....not so good. But making slow progress I hope. He is a funny boy; very handler responsive but with a little stubborn streak about some inside flanks. It could well be my lousy training & handling skills or it could just be his nature. I have been doing the corner exercise that Lee gave me to incite his enthusiasm; me & sheep backed into corner with me giving him a "watch em! watch em!!" I've also been working him with more speed to build confidence and enthusiasm. Which is working well for his outruns. If left on his own, he would check himself into a trot at about 11 or 1 o'clock....which would be awesome if Jayne would do that, LOL However Owen needs to feel more power not less.
I haven't been to Flyball yet this year. It was pouring and windy last Friday so I wussed out. Of course it then cleared up mid-morning and has been dry with sunny periods every since! Not complaining as it was sure nice sitting out having coffee with Bruce yesterday in the warm sunshine. It was just he & I yesterday as Rose was at the dentist & Margaret had a lunch appointment. Bruce worked his young Sam and man Oh man is that pup every a natural! Doing gathers pretty much the length of the field and little steps driving...he is coming along like a champ. Funny how littermates can be so different; his 3 sisters are coming along the way you would expect keen young dogs...but a lot more work on the part of their handlers! lol It will be interesting to see how they all turn out by age two or three.
I am also doing the happy dance these days as it doesn't get dark til about 5pm! I changed the timer on my living room lamp forward from 4:20 to 5:00p. Yippee spring is coming. The grass is showing signs of re-growth already and next thing will be the snowdrops budding.
Lynda is coming with me to the Karen Child clinic at Fido's in April. Plus Lynda & I just got a couple of the last available lesson spots with Patrick Shanahan at Island Crossing Farm in Arlington on Sun. Jan.31st. I love working Joe & Heather's sheep, so am very much looking forward to that day...and hoping that the weather won't be too ugly. Spring may be on it's way but we still will see more winter rain&wind storm fronts blow through. I predict no more snow though. I bought my first time ever snow shovel for the one day of snow we had in November thus we've had nothing since.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment