Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday at the big field

Pam hauled her sheep to Brooksdale Farm again for us today. The rain was threatening but held off til we were done. Pam worked her young dogs up in the back field while Lynda, Kristi & I worked our dogs in the main field. What a nice treat to get out in a bigger space!
Blair did a nice big blind outrun to kick things off as the sheep had ducked around the corner out of sight. I was really pleased with him as I sent him on an 'away' which is his weak side if he can't see the sheep. He went out nicely all the way to where the 'top' should have been, then stopped and looked at me for help. I gave him another 'away' whistle which kicked him out beautifully.
I was also very happy with young Owen. There may be hope for him yet. There were a couple of moments at the beginning where he might have lost them to the corner but he took my inside flank and covered them. He did several big outruns showing no hesitation at the distance. He listened well on the fetch and showed his nice natural pace. We did some bigger drives where he also took every flank. He would still like to fall off the pressure and head them but did as he was told. I can't wait to work him with Patrick and get an experienced opinion of him. He is the best listener of all my dogs but then there is that stubborn streak at times. He shows a lack of confidence but he has never backed down from sheep. I don't know how much is inexperience and how much is genetic.
Jayne was also a very good girl today. She did a couple nice big outruns and had to really 'lift' them off of Lynda one time. A couple mos. ago that would have blown her mind and she would have flew in. This time, she controlled herself, listened to me and did a nice walk up and lovely pace on the fetch. She did bust in once later but it was all my fault; I was using her to hold sheep for Lynda and Lark. I should have given her a that'l do but instead allowed Lark to push the sheep right over top of her. Me very bad. Stupid move, should never have expected her to hold still that long & with sheep coming right at her. She also took off after the sheep while we were sitting around and the sheep were very close. But again, I should have been paying more attention & stopped her. She bust through as I called her name but I could see that she 'knew' she was in the wrong. lol

No comments: