Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Soggy Days

Another Tuesday working dogs at McLeods'. We've had big winds and rainy storm fronts moving through for a typical November. Lucked out today with a window of dry to work Jayne & Owen. I was very pleased with Owen; I started him off by walking up and then driving the sheep to the bottom of the field. Then doing some flanking...and he took a couple inside flanks at that distance! Yippee! Maybe he is slowly 'getting' it. He is still reluctant to take the come by even close at hand, but I am chipping away at it.
Jayne was also very good. I did the same start with her; walk up then drive, then flank. It seems to help hold the sheep so that when I do ask for a little gather, they don't book it up the field immediately. Did lots of inside flanks and driving with Jayne and only one time did she even 'think' about flying through - instead her flank was just very fast. ;-) She is taking all of her lie down(stop-stand) whistles which is making a huge difference. I am enforcing that with Owen too which is helping him even though he is real easy to stop.
Other than that, not much happening. Following CFL playoffs the last couple Sundays; Grey Cup next weekend. GO Saskatchewan!!!! The Barries' next BCSDA arena trial is next Sunday so I am torn...trial or game? Plus weather is forecast for possible snow flurries! Ewww. The Whidbey Island SDT trial is coming up but I haven't been able to get out on any big spaces lately so that would probably be a waste of money. The weather and early darkness are not conducive to enticing me out to trials these days. Guess I classify as a fair-weather kind of handler. lol I can live with that. Plus I have a huge fencing bill coming up which will put a big dent in dog activities.

No comments: