Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It was SO bright.....




that it hurt my eyes. Eyes that have not seen sun since...can't remember when. We only had 55 hours of sunshine in November - the norm is 75. We had 25 days of rain, norm is 20. We had 265cm of precipitation, norm is 181. So it was a welcome kick off to December! What a gorgeous blue sky with sun sparkling on the Golden Ears mountains viewed from McLeods'. What a nice change from last week. And a forecast of dry/sun through the weekend! Whoohoo! I'll be helping the Kings team at the Flyball Tourney indoors on Sat/Sun instead of working dogs but....who knew at the time of commitment.
Owen and Jayne both did so well today that I am almost at a loss of what to do with them in training. They are both taking nice inside flanks and driving...not a lot more to work on in some ways, just needing the miles. Both could do with chores and something 'real' that would show them a purpose to the work, but alas, I don't have that opportunity right now. I fear I lack the imagination & insight of the work that would allow me to 'create' work. Plus I am lazy so when they work so well, I'm inclined to quit early. But I am sure that something will come up that will take us a couple steps back and show a hole that needs work. lol Well, I did see a little thing with Jayne at the end; she had fetched the sheep to me and as they drifted off to my right, I said "That'll do." Which she took for an opportunity to blow up and bust through the flock! What a silly girl. But tells me there is still that pent up energy and pressure she is feeling. Which also makes me wonder if the only reason she isn't busting through these days is because I am controlling her with lie downs instead of working through the issue....sigh....
Last Thurs. I gave Blair some work for a change and did some shedding. Wow oh wow, what a difference it is making! I wish I could afford to give him even 5mins. of this every time. The big difference is that I can see that he is 'getting it' and understanding what we are doing AND he thinks it is quite FUN! It is kind of a no-brainer that when you never practice something, how can you expect your dog to do it at a trial? Plus it is a chance to work on the 'look back'; after we shed, I have him drive and work the group for a few minutes. Then I can ask for a look back to go gather the other group back with the first.
So after coffee & a short working session, I 'helped' Rose put up xmas lights on the house....well, actually, I stood there and 'held' the ladder while Rose did all the work. ;~}
I had to add the pic of 15 yr.old Roy because old dogs are so wonderful and we have them for such a short time. I never knew Roy when he was younger, actually just got to know him in the last month or so. But I think he is a poster boy for the working Border Collie; just look in his eyes and see the will to work at whatever job asked, regardless of how lacking physically he could do it. Plus he still has the 'gumption' to growl at my young Owen to tell him off, even though he might not quite know why he might be saying it. I love this old dog.
The other two speak for themselves....Lynda home on lunch break for coffee and the pretty snow capped mountains. What a view!

No comments: