No pictures today but just at the ones on my last post and copy. Getting lots of work with the dogs in some pretty sweet weather. Even got a slight sunburn last Tues. working in McLeods' back field. Margaret and I took turns with our dogs while Rose and Bruce mucked out the barn. I collected a pocket full of golf balls that land over the fence from the Poppy Golf course out back.
Later that afternoon I visited BlockBros. and actually got my income taxes done before the end of the month! That was a first in many years - good thing I usually get a rebate.
Wed. night we went to Pam's big field again after work and were able to stretch everyone out some more. I was first to arrive so I took Dusty out by ourselves. The sheep were stuck on the fenceline and he wasn't inclined to speed around them so I left him to sort it out on his own. He followed them down the fence and out of sight around the corner while I walked straight out into the middle of the field. Sure enough, after a couple minutes he showed up with the sheep bringing them back up the field to me. So I took the opportunity to do some nice long driving all the way down the field. Then I called him off and we walked up to the top. I thought I would test his outrun distance by sending him 300+ yards. He went out with enthusiasm and handled it all quite nicely. I did some long drives, one more big outrun and called it quits. Rose had arrived and assumed that I was working Blair because of the distance(s). haha
Jayne also worked very nicely. She is settling in to the big space as if she always trains in it. She has some kind of outrun! Wow! Amazing when you consider most of our training is in 2 acres. I still need to work on getting into her head at the top when the distance is further but I feel confident that will come.
Thursday was back to the front field at McLeods'. Great weather - shorts and tank top every day. Finally got my lawn mowed for the first time this year - it was getting pretty high. With this nice hot weather and sun it is even filling in the 'mud' patches so I may not have to re-seed after all. Friday was HOT and so welcome! Friends from out of town arrived for dinner and an overnight visit before heading off to the Island for a a week's vacation. Nice to have company to cook for and visit.
Saturday the weather changed back to our more normal wet spring conditions although just a sprinkle here and there. We got back to Pam's field with just Lynda, Pearse, Pam and myself. The big crowd from the previous Sat. couldn't all make it for various reasons. I struggled with Dusty this time. You'd never know it was the same dog as Wed! I don't know what was going on with him but he was reluctant to take some flanks and it didn't seem to matter which side of the draw. But I decided to take the opportunity to force him to do as he is told regardless of how he feels about it. Which meant a fair bit of pressure. He was one pooped-pupper when we were done. Jayne did well again. I even had the chance to 'talk her through' calmly walking up the fenceline and bringing them off it without panic, bust & fly in. She is driving much further and without looking back at me so much. So slowly but surely I think we are progressing. It will be interesting to see how she handles Dirk's wily Scotties this weekend.
I had Lynda take the sheep out of sight around the corner at the bottom end while I walked Blair up to the top, hoping he might not see them come out. But he had them spotted the whole way and did a perfect outrun. That was about all I did with him as at this point all he really needs is conditioning. Dirk's trial will be a pretty big course and I haven't heard if they were able to cut the hay yet or not. It was pretty challenging last year.
Today I am busy filling out a passport application. I need to get it in asap or I won't be going to any trials in WA after June 1st! It is rather ironic that the majority of people who already have passports are ones born in foreign countries....more likely possible terrorist suspects than those of us Canadian born citizens who have been using our birth certificates/driver's licences for a hundred years. You would think in this day and age of computers that the border guards(Canadian and US) would have the technology to identify and record 'frequent flyers' like myself. I've been going back and forth across the same border crossing 10-20 times a year for the last 5 years. Now I have to fill out forms, go get a photo taken....which is going to be terrible because of course, I just got a hair cut last week and was freakin scalped! Then drive all the way(LOL) to Richmond and wait in line for God only knows how long. And pay $87 for the priviledge! Can you tell that I am still annoyed that the Hawks outlasted outplayed outwitted the Canucks 6 - 3 on Saturday? I am not a hockey fan. But if you are Canadian at this time of year and your team is in the playoffs, you become a fan(or you get booted out of the country passport or no). So I caught the tail end of game one due to getting home late after working dogs. Thought, yeah right here we go again; 3 unanswered goals in two periods of play.....but shock of shocks, a go ahead goal to win the game! Then Saturday....back down to earth. Who was that playing in Luongo's uni?
Monday, May 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment