Monday, January 19, 2009

Finally! Sheep time.

Except for my shady backyard the local fields are showing green again. We were fogged in last week but the weather cleared up for a beautiful sunny weekend. The trails and parks were full of hikers & bikers & dogs.
Yesterday my training partner, Lynda and I went to our friend's farm to work our dogs for the first time in six weeks! Lynda got to work her yearling for the first time since she came home from getting started. They look to become a very nice team. Young Lark is keen but biddable which will be a pleasant change from Lynda's hard headed boy, Try. I forgot my camera so no pictures damnit. It was a gorgeous day, so warm that afterward we sat out in the field talking dogs & enjoying a beer Karleen brought out for us. Canadians rarely drink liquor around dogs.
I did not work Blair as he went through a very scary time the night before. I am pretty sure that Dusty 't-boned' him - he came into the house at supper time barely able to stay upright. Staggering like a crab sideways and obviously in a lot of pain. He vomited shortly after - from shock I suspect. There was no sign of injury; he was alert and eyes focused so I didn't think it was head trauma. I kept a close eye on him and luckily after a couple hours he appeared to be ok. By bedtime he was fine...but no work for him the next day.
At Karleen's, I used Dusty for the chores: he helped unload a couple ewes being delievered, then brought in the flock & sorted a group for Lynda, then just hung out in case Lark needed help. He picked them out of a corner for her once and also drove them off to the farthest end of the field so that Shelley could do a nice big outrun with Riggs.
When they were all done, I got Jayne out last as she is in heat. We had a pretty good session considering how long it has been since she last saw sheep. However I am still having a problem with her busting in on them once every time we work. This time it was on a fetch - after she had done several outruns, no apparent reason why. She just loses her head & blows in on them. I feel bad because I know it is my fault; I should be reading her better and preventing the situation before it happens. I know it is also because we are 'weekend trialers' who don't own sheep & have real regular work for my dogs. At Jayne's age she should be going to sheep every day and doing chores not just session of 'drills' a couple times a week. Lee Lumb will be here for a clinic in two weeks so hopefully she can help me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, give Blair a kiss for me......

Andrea said...

Great posts! Love Border Collies! :) Enjoyed "meeting" you today. Sophie and I will be back to visit. :)