Friday, January 16, 2009

The Dogs






I have had heelers or ACDs since the mid-70s but the first one to work sheep is Wyatt aka Mr.Affable aka King of the Kennel. He got me started in this obsession 7 years ago. We did the kennel club thing and competed in some arena trials put on by the local Border Collie folks. They were very welcoming and encouraging despite holding their collective breath(s) every time Wyatt worked. Unusual for a cattledog, Wyatt never gripped sheep(different story on cattle) but he had no outrun. 'Why go 'around' when it is quicker to go straight at them? After all, they aren't going anywhere - the fence will stop them. And it is fun to see them split & jump around....' He developed a chronic lameness when he was two so I retired him from 'herding'. I had often gone & watched Border Collie trials so decided to get one. The plan was to learn more from the field trial world that would help me do better in the kennel club world. hahaha
So that is how Dusty came into my life. He goes back to Bill Berhow's Nick through Martha McHardy of MarCar Border Collies on Vancouver Island but was out of two farm dogs. Dusty went to Sgt.McHardy's Boot Camp for Wayward Sheepdogs when he was a year old. He spent a couple months there but through the entire time made it very clear that he wasn't keen to work for anyone but me. Eventually and after numerous clinics we have muddled our way to the Pro/Nov level. However Dusty would much prefer just doing chores or having a 'job' like set out than face the unknowns of a trial course.
While waiting for Dusty to grow up, a young started 2yr.old was offered back to Martha. She suggested that I buy him as he would be ready to trial right away. So Blair joined the family. He is sired by Peter Gonnet's Moss and out of a ranch bitch bred by Martha. Blair was soon named 'The Wonderdog' by me....as it was a wonder he worked so well with me as his handler. :-) After having worked ACDs, this Border Collie took my breath away. He was awesome. We entered and placed in a few Nov/Nov trials that summer and then got our feet wet in Pro/Nov that winter and the next year. Every time I started to get comfortable, Martha encouraged me to step up to the level that Blair was ready for.(she didn't seem to care much where I was) ;-) I guess we were fairly successful in Pro/Nov because the BCSDA bumped us up to Open the following year. Which is where we bumble around to this day.
During a conversation with a friend, she mentioned that she was getting a puppy from Peter & Pam Gonnet. Sired by Moss and out of Pam's bitch, Meg who is sired by Kathy Knox's Jake. I have admired Moss and Jake for some time, so jumped to the phone to see if there were any female pups left. Which is how Jayne came to live with us in 2007. After getting started last winter by Lee Lumb of Vernon, BC Jayne and I are slowly working towards the trial field. It is a very slow process being that we don't own sheep but must go to friends several times a week.
Lastly comes young Owen. I had no need nor intention of getting a 5th dog but I fell in love with his unique look. Plus he had a couple sisters who are doing very well for their novice handlers. Plus he was sired by my Blair and out of a nice farm bitch who is the same way bred as Dusty. Owen will be starting his sheepdog career this spring.

No comments: