Friday, April 2, 2010

Happy Easter!

Sorry no more pix.....Rose never did upload last week's working shots. ;-)
Not much new this week; I worked Blair & Owen on Tues because I felt like I needed a break to work my 'easy' dogs. Blair has started howling/barking in the topper half way down 248th. St. and then again as soon as I turn onto McLeods' 40th Ave! What a BAD dog!!! Owen yipes and howls on 40th but not as bad as Blair. I need to make a trip to Tisol to buy more 'stuff' for my bark collar obviously. Blair is also VERY bad at barking/seal sound when I even take another dog out of the truck, let alone work them! ;-(
So, needless to say, he got left at home today. Along with Dusty who is getting a lot of 'short shift' on sheep these days. It was a cold windy blustery showery day.....very cold even in the shelter of the 'McLeod Family Room aka garage'. At least until after Marg worked her first dog...then the sun came out and the rain stopped just in time for me to work Jayne. She had a good session. I sometimes feel at a loss for knowing what to work on after about 5 mins........(with all my dogs). It is the sad world my 'hobby' dogs face; no real work but just repetitive 'drills'. However I did feel with Owen today that he can move to bigger space(trial) without much effort. He is not at all grippy up there even when at a further distance than our comfort zone. With him, it will be a matter of him taking every flank command and quickly. Jayne is the better dog, but she will have issues at the top if the sheep don't lift before she gets there....and harder to get a hold of at a distance. Shall be interesting to see how both these youngsters do in some trials this year. I am looking forward to getting these two out on the trial field to see where the holes in my training are. It is so different than when I trialed Blair at the same age.....
I am going down to Arlington on Sat. for Heather's baby shower which may include some sheep time so at least they will get out on different s/f. Plus John Carter is having a 'Handy Dog' trial on Sunday out at Downriver which, if the weather is nice, will give them another different s/f experience. Plus next weekend is the Karen Child clinic at Fido's which I am really looking forward to.

No comments: