Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Training since Whidbey

I got to work Jayne on the trial field at Susan's mid week; Lynda & I both used the opportunity to send our young dogs on bigger outruns. Plus do some driving to the panels left up after the trial. I was very pleased with Jayne; she is continuing to show more maturity in her work. Lynda's Lark is also coming along like a champ.
Then Pam hauled her sheep to the big field on Sunday where we worked in a bit of a drizzle but doing much the same kind of work; seeing how far our dogs could go and not fall apart. The cows are gone but the grass was still very high in places so Owen had a some problems going on the come by side but took a redirect and managed to hold his own. Jayne was great; I have been working on being very quiet & soft(thanks Patrick) which is helping a lot I think. I am trusting her more which she is also responding to. She overflanked one time as I had completely lost sight of her in the high grass. Lynda pointed at her with her stock stick which might have signaled something to Jayne as she then flanked back and lifted very nicely with no help from me.
Today back to McLeods' where we sorted a group into the alleyway to work in a tight space to kick off my session with Jayne. Then I penned the group in the field but kept a single out to work for a few minutes. The group of sheep I had sorted proved to be a very reactive flighty bunch so we had some different types of work with them. I did some driving with Owen toward the draw where he had to flank to hold them which put a lot of stress on him. Good news was no wobblies when we were done. He is starting to handle more pressure and was working with a ton of enthusiasm and confidence.

No comments: