Sunday, June 28, 2009

Whidbey Island Trial

Owen learns to swim.
Susan and Echo, the dog who started it all.
Plenty of room to run dogs.
The arena and set out pens.
Looking up towards handler's post from spectator area.

I just got home from spending almost two weeks on Susan Crocker's gorgeous farm and competing in her trial last weekend. Blair and I placed 4th on Sat and earned his very first USBCHA points! He still won't likely qualify for Klamath as we only have one more trial in AB before the cutoff. I had decided to go to the Canadian Nationals instead anyway.
Blair was on the muscle on Sunday and my timing was really bad so I retired as the cross-drive was going downhill very quickly. The distance proved too much for young Jayne so we also retired and I pulled her from Nursery on Sunday. I don't want to allow bad habits to develop and it isn't really fair to expect her to work well at distances we don't get to practice but once a month if that.
I went down to Susan's early before the trial and stayed til today so I got lots of work in on everybody. We had beautiful weather with just a bit of rain to keep the dust down. The dogs got to hang out tied to truck and trailer as well as getting to work sheep and a swim in the pond. I even got some practical chores as I brought the sheep in every evening before dark. Last night the lambs got tucked in early as I noticed them wandering by my trailer! It was quite windy so I suspect the gate was blown open and they got out. I even used Owen to bring them in one night. He is proving to be the easist dog I have ever worked with and it was great to have the opportunity on different sheep and in a great big field.
The only sad note of the week was that Susan's grand old 14yr. old ACD, Echo took a sudden turn for the worse and had to be put down on Friday. Susan drove back from MacDonalds' trial before she even got there and spent the day with her. The vet came to the farm so it was a very peaceful way to go. Otherwise it was so nice to spend time with Susan & Ali and their Kelpies and Cattledogs. I'll upload some more pictures later.

2 comments:

Hollen Farm said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

Jodi said...

So sorry to hear about Echo. :-(

But congrats to you and Blair for your first points! That's huge!