Friday, September 16, 2011

Feeding my Dogs

No nice pix but just an update. I spent several hours today preparing dog food. Blair is experiencing some issues & may need more fibre in his diet to help with anal glands. But I figure they can all benefit.
I bought a super cheap chunk of pink salmon not long ago & froze it. So today I cooked it up. I also defrosted & cooked a baggie of lamb guts; liver, gizzard, etc....and the last of the $5 turkey from last fall. I cooked up some chicken soup stock and used that to cook a cup or so of brown rice. I also cooked a lovely big spaghetti squash for my dinner last night, so used the left overs of that to add to the mix. Plus cooked up a few yams and added the pumpkin from a tin that I have been adding to Blair's dinner.
So: I have 5 yogurt containers in the freezer to add to their kibble dinners over the next week or two. Salmon/chicken/lamb liver+/brown rice/spaghetti squash/yam/pumpkin/garlic/dill/cilantro/rosemary/corn oil/chicken stock.
It was a nice way to spend a cloudy cool afternoon and to know that I have some good clean ingredients to top off my dogs' kibble dinners with.

1 comment:

gvmama said...

Sounds like a HEALTHY mixture. I'm a bit lazy and feed a good quality kibble with egg yolks, pumpkin, cottage cheese and left over veges. Plus, all of my dogs love fruit.