Thursday, September 23, 2010

Boring

No pix & not anything new to report; we have been home; going to McLeods' twice a week to 'work' my dogs. It is hard to think up exercises that replicate any kind of real work. So it has been a boring sort of time in my dogs' minds I think. One good benefit has been working the lamb crop since they will be used in the upcoming David Rees clinic/lessons next week.
I gave all 4 dogs some exposure on Tues. It has been quite awhile since Dusty got any sheep time. Plus I need to keep Blair 'tuned' up. They both did ok considering. But back to working just Owen & Jayne today....on the lamb crew which did make for some new&different challenges which was all good. It is a challenge to think up different exercises/skills to work on....we badly need some input on what we need to work on....David's arrival is very timely.

5 comments:

gvmama said...

I do lots of splitting groups of 5 into 3 and 2 while keeping them apart and working the 2 and then the 3 through obstacles. I now have been splitting a group of 8 into fours and hiding each group of 4. Then I bring out another dog and send them on a blind outrun for the first 4, drop them off at a set of panels and make them look back for another group of 4 which are also on a blind outrun. Plus, shedding a large group, one off, another off, etc.

Erin O said...

I've just decided that I need another dog to work at least through the winter.

Z is so trained up at this point I really want to just put him up for a while. Let him finish growing up some.

I'm the one who needs the work. Guess it is fortunate Dianne Deal is coming to town to teach, she judged us the last few Open runs we had, so hopefully we can look at handler stuff. I'm starting to feel like the handicap on the team again :)

Hopefully we see you at Arlington in Nov.

WalkOn Border Collies said...

Good ideas Suzanne, thx! Yes Erin, I have entered both my young'uns in P/N in Nov. Gave up Blair's Open runs for the two P/N dogs to run twice this time. If you need another dog to work....I can send you one of mine! lol

Erin O said...

Be careful what you offer ;0

WalkOn Border Collies said...

Erin: we can talk at Arlington.